Wednesday

Million Dollar Smile ...


Yesterday was the routine trip to the dentist. I go every four months to have my teeth cleaned and this time a check up.


All was going well, until they got back to the molars and shared with me that though the teeth look good on the Xray, and that visually they are "solid as horse teeth" (which I don't think that is a compliment) I have the beginning of periodontal pockets.


Uggh, what? Well, this is a bacteria that forms in the gums, and normally is genetic, and can be treatable without surgery - if caught early enough. Since it was not there in December, we should be in good shape.


I thought just my luck, but it is nearly every one's luck - 80% of all Americans have this ... shew, I am just part of the norm. So, what happens to me and my teeth - well, once I return from Italy I will go in and have a slow release antibiotic shot into my gums that will work toward killing the bacteria. I need to upgrade from my standard tooth brush to an electric toothbrush and floss more than I do now and this should, since caught early enough, resolve it without going to the next step which is surgery.


So I was kinda bummed about the news because I have had nice solid teeth over my lifespan of almost 40 years, but a shot may just make it all right. Have you gone to your dentist lately?

No comments: