Thursday

A Restaurant Review!

Last night I got home and the rain was gently falling down and I was in not a cooking mood. So I thought I will let someone cook for me. I thought long and hard about where to go and what I was hungry for when it hit me. "Duh, it is raining, some place close where I can get right in!"
Well, I picked Antigua (the former Tumbleweed Restaurant - Southwest).

Well, the menu is almost all Mexican food and the staff is almost all Mexican and the language they speak is almost all Mexican and the music played was almost all Mexican and finally, the beer signs are almost all Mexican. I felt like I really had illegally crossed the border and I was just minutes away from my home.

I sat in my booth and reviewed the multi-page menu. The waitress, who could have easily been a librarian in Mexico, whispered something about a beverage. I ordered ice tea. She smiled, turned her head sideways (like Clyde does when I say Cheese) and said "you want it sweet". Now, how could I say no?!?

I selected the enchiladas mexicana (chicken enchiladas). My ice tea arrived and my poor straw that was already unwrapped and place into the glass was bent like a bobby-pin. But the beverage was good.

The basket of chips and salsa were very good. The chips were warm and the salsa was room temperature (I will tell you tomorrow if that was a bad thing). The atmosphere played a very robust Mexican music montage. However as loud as the music was the table behind me found a way to be louder. As the lead lady at the table told story after story of hardship and woe of people she works with or patients she worked on, my guess is she did not sign a confidentiality agreement.

My food arrived in less than five minutes and it looked very good. The guacamole could have been a meal in itself! The rice was moist and the beans were made fresh. I could not belabor an issue with the food. I was though very concerned about the patient who had thirteen kids, was a real saint of a woman, who's husband was a real putz, had passed away and her funeral went on for three days. Lord, she was a good woman. Okay, I am thinking, is this the same lady who lived in a shoe? I just could not recall if this was real or something repressed in my memory from childhood books.

Anyway, my meal was under $9.00 and with tip I was out the door for $11.00. It was a great meal, in a very authentic situation even though you can't pick who you sit next to.

No comments: