Sunday

Flashback ... alert


Perhaps this happens to you, but I was lying in bed this morning thinking of the Dixie Cup. Okay, this probably has never happened to you, but now it just might and you will have someone to blame --- ME. What I remembered, or kept thinking about, was how they were a staple in our household. They could be found in the kitchen or in the bathrooms, but then they normally would be found under a bed, in the living room, in the sand box and everywhere in between. They helped to make great sand castle tops, they held screws and bolts perfectly in the garage. The held water up to an hour without the sides splitting and pouring on the floor. Sometimes they had cute little sayings, sometimes dressed up for the holidays with holy and the (now) evil saying "Merry Christmas" but it also did the other holidays that were observed back in the 70's. I look around my house today and there is not one dixie cup that has survived. My sand castle days are over - drats! I have a garage but would not know how to use a bolt if it came out of my neck, and I drink from a real glass now, thank you very much. Uncertain why on earth I would have this flashback this morning at 6:00 a.m. but I did and now you know! When I go to the store today, I think I will gander in the paper section to see if they even exist. I will not be buying them, because I still find them of little value in my adult life. They were a hit as a kid and that memory lives on some thirty years later.

No comments: