Wednesday

No apple for me...



Today I was a principal for the day at Northcrest Elementary School. Annually the Fort Wayne Community Schools picks local business folks to share life experience and observe the day in the life of the school's principals.

What is really nifty for me was to return to Northcrest Elementary after thirty years from being a kindergarten, first and second grade student at that school. What has changed, other than a few more classrooms, the student body looked like a meeting from the United Nations. When I was a student, we had one minority student. He lived around the block from me and I remember it vividly. This time around, there were very few little white children.

I enjoyed the experience, the opportunity to return to the school. I sat with a fourth grade class for about a half hour and discussed what they are learning in school and how each and everything they learned will be applied to real life. But what really brought out the questions was if the playground looked any different. I told them that it did look very similar, it has not been upgraded much in thirty years. Hmm, that made me puzzled. The question that stumped me was "how much Bosnian do you speak?" I hate to say, but I do not know one vowel of the language.

No comments: