Sunday

Another food review...


Another day another celebration. Saturday family gathered in Angola, Indiana to celebrate my birthday. Everyone selects their birthday meal. Typically it is a restaurant but sometimes it is a home style brew. Well, it was a bit of both for me. Growing up the restaurant known as Caruso's has been something like "home". Though we did not eat there often, like I do at Flat Top (where everyone knows my name), Caruso's was a place that my grandmother had worked and the restaurant that was standing there under another name too. So, in some bizarre wave of memories, I recall grandma serving up meals in red baskets with wax paper inserts in the form of french fries. I know Italian restaurant and french fries, but this may be where the crossing of cultures began. Imagine an Italian with a beret. What Caruso's is known for is their famous sausage roll, or even pizza. What you have to, must have, can't consider anything else if only strapped with five bucks, will be the bread sticks! Oh my, my heart doctor probably will earn a few extra dollars off this splurge. The bread sticks are lightly deep fried to give them a bit of a crunch, but not like bruchetta crunch. They are coated with Parmesan cheese and then drenched (and I mean by the pound) with butter. Now you can add cheese to dip them, and you figure, what are a few more calories while eating death-bed bread sticks. The family ordered a multitude of items from the daily special fish and macaroni and cheese to sides of pasta to Italian subs to a torpedo, a rolled up small pizza with sauce galore. The meals were good, the portions plentiful and the service wasn't five star but it was decent. The short drive up highway 69 is just a mere thirty minutes or less from the Dupont Exchange in Fort Wayne. A drive up the highway was a tour down memory lane.

No comments: