Thursday

Not so nICE of a drive

Well, yesterday's trek to the office was sure an adventure in being calm and patient! I departed my home at 6:00 a.m. I hopped on 69 and was going maybe 20 mph and my car was sliding like I was a figure skater at the Olympics.

When I came to the first exit, I got off thinking that I may be safer going through town. The road conditions were not much greater however I could keep my speed at bay. I got to Ardmore/Hilegas and thought to myself "I am half way there". This would be the last time I would actually think this thought.

My car would not go up the hill, now as you know this is not a mountain, it is just an incline. So I thought I will back up a bit and then go forward well that did not work in the least bit. Next thing I know there is a line of traffic forming behind me, and the first car just so happens to be a police officer.

The lights went on and the officer pulled to my left and rolled the window down. I thought, on lovely, a ticket for being a nuisance of a public road or the police finally tracked down who hauled a donkey into the Haunted Hamlets! Though neither was what happened, the female police officer smiled and I said that I am able to go backwards at greater speeds than forward... she laughed and said that she would stop traffic and allow me to back up and get some traction. I thought to myself, I am actually stopping traffic pretty well myself, but I thanked her and began my backward slide. Literally.

Eventually I would slide backward the entire length of the hill until I slid back to Illinois Road. (Everyone in the line had to back up also, which trust me was not a happy moment for anyone in this conga line!) She came back to my window, large smile and all, and I quickly said, I think I should try a different road. She laughed and said I think you should too. Well, she stood in the middle of the road and stopped the other direction of traffic and I was able to donut my car and head back on Illinois road. As I got the car in a forward motion, I really just wanted to run out into the street and give her a big hug, but I figured I was already in enough trouble ... I am sure it is not legal to hug an officer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you feel like the little engine that could? " I think I can...I think I can...."