Sunday

Speaking of checks ...


Tax time approaches and I have to pull all my documents together to show that I actually did give funds to not for profits. Tax laws require that you have actually proof and not so much the letter from the agency.
Well I have bank accounts with many lending institutions, but last year I set up an account with one bank that is only for not for profit donations. I thought it will be so easy to track. Well, yes it is much easier to track but I made fatal mistake. I did not get carbon copy checks or duplicate checks I guess is the term. Carbon copies dates back before my time.
Well, this institution that I am doing business sends a monthly statement and just states that the check has cleared. It does not show an image of the check. Not knowing that I would need true proof I never had a concern. Now that I do know, I have a concern.
I called the bank and asked for copies of the checks that I could not pull from online achieve. The guy said, "you are still using checking?" I thought, it is not like I just called to see if your pet dinosaur can come out to play with Clyde! You are a bank, it is something you offer, I can't be the last living person writing checks.
Well, I must be ... because he was baffled that I was a check writing person. He stated that in June or July checks will not be imaged by any bank because they will just shred them. What? Oh I am so entrenched in my ways I can not imagine my world without a check book.
Only goes to show I may have to break down and get an ATM card or Debit Card of whatever they are called now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're not the only one! i still write checks, too.

deb