Sunday

What in the world...


Through the years, we have grown accustomed to many things, many people, many traditions. Television has brought us into thinking we know or knew, could relate or understand, a new set of circumstances. I grew up with Zoom, Sesame Street, the Electric Company and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. Wonder if research could show that some of the Public Broadcasting System may have sent me down this wild path of life I live? What I do believe, though, it was because of those shows, the need for a sense of imagination, that allowed to me think outside the box. I think it is that same infatuation with other people's problems and situation that has made me a bit more compassionate. More understanding. More tolerable to things perhaps I do not understand. Education will never be my favorite topic. Not much of the academia could I even wrap my arms around. But I did find great comfort in the people, students etc. I pause today to remember that if I had not been tuned into Bert and Ernie, what in the world may I being doing today. Some television shapes us. Speaking of different eras, wonder what would have happened if I grew up watching Saved By The Bell or Punky Brewster. And now you know...the rest of the story!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that it was actually the music of Prince that opened up the world for me. I'm sure that everyone will assume I mean that in a sexual way, but if you really know Prince, his music and his talents...you'll know what I mean. I learned a lot about religion, people, politics, other points of view and above all the ability to be my absolute own person! I learned to be an individual and not be ashamed of that or give in to other people's opinions...which was a great skill to have going into my high school years! I'm sure that if I didn't have the right upbringing I could've gotten much different things from his music, but luckily, I didn't. I definitely agree Mark...you never know what has influenced you at the time until you turn around and look back!