Thursday

Some one else needs the wood....



Last night, I spent with two friends with a nice dinner and a movie. We watched the 1992 classic (according to my account, not others) Straight Talk with James Wood and Dolly Parton. It takes place in Chicago --- The City I love, home of Marshall Fields. But that all ends at the end of this month. Marshall Fields gives way to the big star, Macy's. Somehow, my happy blog note, just went sad.

Anyway, back to the movie and dinner. Dolly accepts a job as a receptionist at a radio station (where I dreamed that I would work). As she headed back to break from job she works from 9 to 5, she walked into a room where the coffee pot is located and into being the mistaken identity of the new Radio Talk Show Host who will solve your love and life problems. Though she struggles to go on the air (which I would never have challenged) she is drawn in to hear someone else's problem. "Sometimes a dog will run the wrong squirrel up the right tree". The romantic comedy kicks up it high heels and makes us feel comfortable for about 90 minutes. With all the negative stuff we hear about on TV, in the paper, and at the water cooler, it is nice to retreat to a good dinner, with great friends. As Dolly takes one phone call from a nagging, never ending caller, she proclaims, "Get off the cross, hun, someone else needs the wood."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also mourn the closing of Marshall Fields.Everytime I walked into that store I felt as if it were my own private city. The shoe department alone could keep me happy for weeks. The ladies in cosmetics with their perfectly made up faces and the furniture department department sent me into fantasies of big city living......

Anonymous said...

that was a very funny movie,imo.
how about the christmas decorations in the tea room at the state street marshall fields store?