Sunday

Not my donuts!!!



The University of Michigan is in its 127th season of football. I have been attending games since 1998. I have sat through some rain, some snow, lots of sun, an occasional wind but let me tell you about the experience that they say never happen twice. Lightening. I have always heard that the last place you want to be is in the middle of a lightening storm. I am sure that really the last place anyone wants to be is outside sitting on a metal bench with 110,000 people sitting shoulder to shoulder and butt to butt (or thigh depending on the person next to you) in a lightening storm. Yesterday, the sky had clouds. They thought a 30% chance of rain late in the afternoon. A noon game, hmm, I think we could get through this game dry and ... of course undefeated. Well, the game kicked off and was clipping pretty good pace. I had my bag of donuts and my apple cider and I don't think I could have been any closer to heaven. Well, then a roar of thunder happened. The crowd cheered...it was like "in your face storm, you have blown over us and nothing is going to stop us". Then a second roar of thunder. The crowd cheered..."haha Detroit, it is coming your way." Well, let me tell you my donuts did not have a chance in hell when the sky opened up and dropped 110,000 gallons of water on the stadium. One gallon per person, share and share alike. Then the game was called. Then the announcer said, "duh, water. RUN people for your lives." Well, that is what I think everyone heard. The rain came down, down, down! The people pushed and shoved like it was the last cabbage patch kid in 1986 on Christmas Eve. Thunder, lightening, rain. For forty five minutes people pushed and shoved to get out the tiny hole that is the exterior of the stadium. Mind you, my little bag of donuts that I was not done eating. I had three left and I was more mad that my donuts were going to be ruined than the fact that there was not a portion of my body that was not moist. I think I had water pouring out my ears. It was a once in a lifetime experience, I do believe. I have been bitching about that rain ruining my donuts for almost twenty four hours and I really doubt I am going to get beyond this moment in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

donuts and cider for some, potatoe chips and chardonnay for others. the result is the same, happy happy happy !!!!