Tuesday

An empty desk awaits ...


Growing up, I thought I had the coolest relative. She was on television and she had her own following and it was pretty darn cool. I think part of my love for the media, whether it is television or radio, may be because I saw (or perhaps glamorized) the industry. The person was Ann Colone. I say was, because she recently passed away. I am sure somewhere a glass or two or three is being tipped in honor.
During the 80's most of my closest relatives passed away from many reasons but cancer being a top cause. My grandmother (s) and Ann were a couple that lived on and beyond. So this closes a chapter in the extended branches of my genealogy tree.
Lifted from headlines:
Ann Colone is a retired Fort Wayne, Indiana broadcaster. She began as a secretary for WGL (AM). She eventually became a DJ on the station.
Once she moved to
television, she hosted "The Ann Colone Show," a noontime homemaker show on WANE-TV. The show began as a half-hour show, but grew to an hour, then to an hour and a half. She interviewed numerous and various celebrities of the time such as Lucille Ball, Bob Hope, and The Rolling Stones. The show was local but a great hit and was a precursor to the Johnny Carson Show. She was also a well known star in many local plays for years. Ann also hosted a show similar to Bandstand. She was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana and was a renown celebrity in the area.
Ms. Colone died on Tuesday June 12, 2007, at the age of 77.

No comments: