Sunday

Hips Don't Lie


A friend and I attended the Noche De Gala last evening in the big'ole tent at the Marriott (this time the fire alarm did not go off - as it did at the Girl Scout Breakfast a few months earlier).


The celebration started at 6:00 p.m. We had some bad insider information that the first hour was social hour, so we arrived midway through that social hour to find out we missed the presentation of some of the scholarships. Luckily some of the scholarship winners must have had the same insider information because they came after us, and the award ceremony happened twice.


We found our seat and they had doubled the number of attendees from last year's event to this years. This was my first time coming so I was very surprised and pleased. Dinner arrived and it was standard fundraising food: salad, gravied dried out chicken, mixed vegetables, half sliced red potatoes, but we did have some kick ass chocolate fudge cake. Cash bar (and we elected to sit right by the bar). We had three couples join us late and they called themselves the Latino Husbands Club, as each wife was Hispanic. They were much fun, frat club fun if you will.
After dinner the lessons took place on how to dance like you know what you are doing. Well, the dancers came out and it was like Lawrence Welk in Mexico, they were dressed up and dancing up a storm. Needless to say I did not even get one move down, well I take that back, I learned if I put my right hand in the air and circled and "yaa-hhaa" I did it. But I could tell you, I don't think I would know where this move would fit into.
Back at the table the Latino wives showed my friend and I a very simple salsa move. I practiced by the bar, which probably was not the smartest thing as people thought I was left of center. Oh, speaking of left of center, Matt Kelty and his table of friends were in attendance. But back to the evening.
When the music started the dance floor was packed. Seriously about two hundred people rushed to the dance floor and they did not even have to play the Y.M.C.A to get that to happen. We waited a few songs and then we joined the group.
Once I got the feet moving in the right directions then I added the hips and then the arms. I don't know what I looked like, but I sure had a good time doing it.
Overall, we danced and had a very exciting, different and unique adventure that takes a good sport to join me for this night out. My friend, I must say, was in her Patti Labelle New Attitude look: new dress, new shoes, new doo, she was lookin mighty fine, this may have taken the attention off of me on the dance floor and onto her.

No comments: