Friday

Must Buy!

I have stumbled across the group "Over the Rhine" and on Tuesday they released "The Trumpet Child" CD. This is a full fledged endorsement this is one great CD. It combines soulful, yet airy vocals with amazing instrumentation. Perhaps jazz, perhaps folk, perhaps soul but perhaps the best CD of the year.


When you play the CD you could easily feel as if you are in the room with them. The layers of sound are soothing and rewarding. It does not sound like a new CD but something that has been around for years, and just discovered.

What do they sound like? Well, take the youthful soul sound of Norah Jones, add a New Orleans piano player, toss in a bit of Everything but the Girl loftiness and add some well crafted songs and you have a dynamic creation called Over the Rhine!

The group is over 15 years old, so I feel kinda goofy just finding them now. They are from Cincinnati, Ohio so they were practically in our back yard. I have back ordered many of their CD's from days gone by after falling deeply into the trance of their latest CD.

"Desperate Love", "Trouble" and "I don't want to waste your time" stand out as the three best, but trust me, you will like the entire CD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there - Just stopped by your page again and had to make another music comment. I was so excited to see your post about Over the Rhine. I don't know why they're not more well known by now but you're right - they are great. A friend (she is WAY into Christian music) tipped me off to them in college and I've been a fan ever since. I like that they're messages aren't SO evangelical. They know how to make music!

Cheers,
Betz