Thursday

If you wait ... it will come


Greetings Dear Friends, I am giving you a restaurant review from a recent adventure to Downtown Fort Wayne's newest hang-out (sorry Pint and Slice, someone is following in your successful steps) J K O'Donnell's!
My friend and I arrived Wednesday evening at 6:00 p.m. we circled inside like Wiley Coyote chasing Road Runner - beep beep. People were laughing and talking and drinking and having a great time. Not many were eating, but they were drinking. We finally got a tip that some lady that was just eating a hamburger or something and would be leaving soon. I am thinking, hey lady, no burgers should be eaten at a Pub, but if you are almost done can you take it to go so we can have your seat.
So we chatted and chatted with others we knew (and there was that one lady we knew but we did not talk with because we did not know how we knew her, so, lady sorry if you felt offended that we snubbed you, but you should have had a name tag on). Anyway, we finally got a flat surface and a couple bar stools and ordered a drink like everyone else had done.
My friend ordered a cider beer and I thought how about a double chocolate beer. Okay, it sounds much better than it tasted. Not the fault of the Pub, but they did put it on the menu. The cider beer was pretty decent. We also ordered our dinner. My friend asked for the Shepherd's Pie and I ordered Fish and Chips (Not the burger, lady! The fish and chips!).
The inside of the pub is fresh and New York'ish English. More bright than I anticipated. I think I thought it would be like Henry's but it wasn't and that is okay. The air was on the blink and I thought I was going to die. Big people don't do well when it gets hot.
Well an hour went by and our food was still being prepared. Our waitress was real kind and she is the kind of friend who would tell you that you were not fat when you really are... she would say, 'your food will be right up'. Well the third time she said it my friend said "I don't believe you!" I about fell of my chair but I didn't because I knew someone would have grabbed it.
Well low and behold, about ten minutes later, the food did appear. The chips were salted to perfection and the fish was the plumpest fish with a dynamic batter! I would almost say it was well worth the wait. My friend's Pie came in two bowls and though we were puzzled as why it was not put into just one, she ate it. Well, one of the bowls.
Within ten minutes we were done eating, very satisfied and a bit toasty. Not from the drinking but from the 100 plus degrees in the Pub. Overall, it was a great addition to the city scape of Fort Wayne and there is some awesome potential for this and other hang outs in the heart of Downtown. I did expect a few hiccups, not from the drinking, but from the few days of being opened.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark -

We had just cleared our table toward the back when you came in the front door.

As you know, it was so crowded, the table had immediately been taken.

Good to see you there. I think Scott Glaze's vision for the pub turned out well.

A little while later, though, I met my wife for dinner. We opted for Henry's because I told her O'Donnell's had been too packed. Her first visit to O'Donnell's will have to come later.

We had an excellent appetizer and wonderful sandwiches at Henry's. It's great to have more choices downtown.

Julie Morrison said...

I, too, visited O'Donnell's only to head to Henry's to eat.

The Shanty & Orange Blossom beer are good, but Henry's deluxe nacho's (sans onions) are plentiful... and quick.