Sunday

Dancing our way onto TV


Yesterday I went to Indy for the time trials - first off, I could not follow a map or direction if I was paid to do it. Thus the reason I am not a truck driver. Second, even when I am told I am on the right path I still can't believe that it is correct and I go into mild panic.


Thus I wish I was back in Italy having a private driver. Oh well, I finally found the track through great advice from a "phone a friend" at 8 in the morning.


Pretty nifty set up this Indianapolis Motor Speedway has. I had a special parking pass that would put me in the in-field. Only to find out that even though I showed them, they still parked me in the wrong place. Guess I am not the only one who can't follow directions. But no harm, I can walk!


I was part of the Alumni Association's Pole Day at the track. There was a nice breakfast and lunch, an air conditioned chalet and tv screens throughout the room. All and all, there was not a reason to leave the building. When I did leave, I became part of a Channel 13 Exclusive as I was interviewed about the race.


Okay, thank you to my press agent - this may have not been the most shining hour I have had in front of a television camera because I really don't follow auto racing. I did know Marco Andretti, and thus he was my "pick". My friend was interviewed also, and she said she did not know much about racing either (on camera) except that the wheels go around that Helio was on Dancing with the Stars. My guess, someone in the control room said - oh lovely! the perfect soundbite - stupid Hoosiers!


Anyway, it was a beautiful day - not too hot and never too cold. I even saw and spoke with my ex-wife. I know, you probably think, what are the chances we would run into each other at the race track. Well, not so far off the mark, she is part of a University and it was Alumni Day. We had a great talk and I don't think she hates me (as much as she may have the last time we saw each other last year).


As we walked around gasoline alley, coming out of the restroom was Mario Andretti. I did not know who he was, he would have needed a "My name is ..." name tag, but I knew the name when he was swarmed by people. I got close enough to snap a picture. Then I thought, why the hell am I taking a picture when I don't follow auto racing. But I did, and it is stuck in my camera. I would have posted it, but I have to read the directions to learn how to send it to my computer.


Guess you will never see it.

No comments: