Wednesday

Holding on to the past ...


It is simply hours before I turn 40 years old and last evening I spent time with two friends from grade school and high school. I was 9 when I met them going through the Northwest Allen County School system. At that time, the school was more 'little bit country' than perhaps its current rock n roll ...


Growing up Carbo, I spent much of my time being social - and I am sure that comes as quite a shock. I got in a bit of trouble too. Enough trouble that I almost did not graduate from high school. Almost a year long prank, was uncovered by the administration just before the May graduation. In fact, it was nearly twenty two years this weekend that I was sentenced to community service work in the library of our school in order to graduate.


Times have changed - I am more "play by the rules" now. Well, at least that is the image I portray haha.


One of my now favorite memories, but at the time it was devastating, was 9th grade gym class. Our teacher was an older guy and rotund. I think this may have been a requirement in his job description, to be larger than life so you scare the kids into fitness. I was (and still today am not) the most athletic. The gym teacher said to climb a rope (that lead to no where except the ceiling) and I said ''No, you climb the rope". Well, this lead me perhaps to not climb the rope but also to the principals office. That year I walked the mile in 20+ minutes - while everyone else may have ran it. I also contracted "serious allergies" and could not go outside to play whatever freaky sport that he made up. A rebel with a cause to stand on my own two feet.


As we flashed back to the friends we miss, and those who we wonder where they may be today. (oh, yeah and some we know where they are and we still avoid them) We found that the friendships established before the age of 10 have grown to be the most valued, treasured and most of genuine.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Boy, your gym class memories triggered some of my own. Why did they put us through some of that? Did anyone ever really think that in middle school I was thinking of taking up archery as a sport (yeah, we actually had to try and us a bow and arrow!)? Did I look like I was aching to learn how to properly throw a shot put?!?! Ah yes, those were the good 'ol days. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.