Sunday

Showing you what I did ....






What an amazing vacation. I will share a few pictures just to show just a snapshot of what I saw. Italy was simply gorgeous. It rained just a couple days while there, and they were travel days from city to city.


The people - well I have an entire collection of pictures of the people I saw on the streets, sitting in benches and simply enjoying life. I made friends with a couple people while there and it was amazing that even if you do not speak the same language ... the topic can turn to Clinton and Obama (the only two candidates that are running for President according to those I spoke with ... they did not know McCain was on the ballot)


The doors - I have an enormous collection of the doors and the architecture of the buildings. I plan to make a collection of them because they really were interesting. Some of the buildings were from 300 ... like 1,600 or 1,700 years ago. We build a building to last at least 25 before we have to begin the reinforcement.


The food - oh mylanta! I ate wonderful food. Sampled foods I have never heard of and drank a portion of an espresso after drinking six glasses of wine, a glass of grappa (aka turpentine) and a dessert wine. When you can't see what is in front of you, but develop a habit for drinking, you drink anything ... I hate coffee by the way.


The landscape - found gorgeous country sides and window displays of hot fashions! Old never looked so good nor does the smell of the fresh air (or the smell of leather in Florence - where my new jacket was born!)
Finally, the cooking classes and gourmet events - I had some of the most fun, wild and truly once in a lifetime moments. The process of cooking was much more simple, much more olive oil (or lard too) and everything was fresh and not from a can. One story ... we were told about the three harvests of olives - the first one is Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO for you Rachel Ray fans) the highest and best quality. The second one is Virgin Olive Oil - more of your salad oil. Lastly, the third one ... they call motor oil - you may bake with it (or ship it to America).


1 comment:

barranda said...

Ah, the memories. I'm so jealous.

Wasn't the Grappa such a disappointment? I call is Crappa. Everything else was as advertised, if not more.

Also, the wine was fantastic. Even the cheapest bottles of Chianti are better than most of what you find on the shelves in the US.

The food is terrific, but the best part is that the lifestyle (i.e. walking everywhere) allows you to eat a shit-ton of food, wine and desert and not gain weight. I actually lost when I was there. Best diet ever!