Sunday

The perks to stalking ...


You know, I have thought for a long time, what to say - and no, it is not writer's block, it is just simple amazement that has placed me looking at a blank screen saying wow! Wow!


I turned forty, and nearly everyone will at some point. Last night as my "fab 50" (who is in your fab 50?)... gathered around me and (gasp!) showered me with gifts, with admiration, with true support and indulgence - I lived out my "Make a Wish" dream to hear Anne Cochran in a personal, private concert. Known by the police blotter as her "shy" stalker ... she made my blow-out-the-candle wish come true.


The evening was majic-al from Barb Richards taking the microphone to begin my roast-toast. Until Anne finished singing "Sunshine on my Shoulder". I could not have changed one detail, one guest, one moment to make this more special than it already was. At times, the concert was really only for me - she sang to me and at times about me haha. (okay, maybe not, but MAYBE)


At some point during the roast, (or toast), I wondered by chance if this is my eulogy and I am just sitting front and center rather than perched in a box? The funny stories of my past romps to the pure loyalty that was expressed in words, in hugs and for anyone who got close enough, tears.


It was a night filled with endless memories. Anne sang her heart out! She put on a show as if she was in an amphitheater to a sold out crowd when in fact, it was just Mark's fifty closest friends coming together to wish him well in the journey called life.


I am blessed. For anyone who attended, any of my three readers, just know that I am still a bit weepy about what you did for me last night. For anyone who is stopping by wondering, why this is not a funny posting, know that sometimes with age, people gain a different perspective.


I took only two pictures last night ... I had every intention of being a Grade A stalker and snap 1,000's but I didn't. However, my mind snapped a 1,000 pictures and the faces of my friends and family who allowed me to have a precious night are in every single picture. I am certain that there are many people who did take pictures, and I have a few sets that even came in over the midnight hour. Again, a showing of how important friendships, family and music really are to me.


4 comments:

barranda said...

Mark, you definitely know how to throw a party!

Carbo said...

Thanks --- the guests made it terrific ... I just tossed some things together :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for a great evening. The food was great and so was Anne. Sorry we had to leave early and miss part of the show. I hope you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, an evening deserved for you!