Thursday

Pummel the Hummel


Growing up Carbo, I loved decorating for Christmas, but loved to eat at Thanksgiving. So the holiday of choice has always been Thanksgiving ... the way to a guys heart is through his stomach I think is the saying ...


Anyway, I still enjoy shopping for Christmas ornaments and the like ... my annual hang out is Bronner's in Frankenmuth Michigan. Well, today I received an email from Bronners to let me know that Hummel will cease production of those tiny midget porcelain babies. I have never bought a Hummel and I did receive a snowbaby as a gift from someone who obviously did not know me well enough to know that scary baby chatkies are just not my cup of tea.


Can't say I shed a tear ... those critters are frightening.


So for those collectors or those who think these things may have a greater value when they halt production, stock up ... end of year ... end of an era.


Despite marketing initiatives to increase sales, Goebel's spokesperson said demand for the famed figurines has dropped to one-third of expected sales and the company has sustained serious losses in recent months. Some 230 of the factory's 340 employees will lose their jobs ...

1 comment:

barranda said...

My grandfather collected these. It started when he was in Germany for the war. I never really saw the fascination, but because he loved his collection it is really the only thing from his estate that I could not sell.