Wednesday

That's nuts ...


Growing up Carbo, my Mickey Mouse lunch box (which I still have and it is on the bookcase) was filled with pringles, a snack treat (perhaps a zinger), a fruit (like a banana) and a sandwich.
During the winter months I normally could have had Bologna or old fashion loaf or ham but when the weather started to spike I would have peanut butter and jelly.
Well, the world is a changing boys and girls. You can't bring peanut butter and jelly to school. According to an article in the Washington Post, administrators fear law suits and death from those who have peanut allergies.
School officials find themselves balancing the rare risk of death against the
danger of being swept up in a faddish hysteria and of trying to anticipate
potential legal repercussions of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act. Even
those who wonder if the bans have gone too far fear that if they do not act
aggressively, they may face liability lawsuits and accusations of discrimination
against children disabled by a peanut allergy.
All I can say is if you have a peanut allergy, what are you doing sticking your head in my lunchbox! Eat your ham sandwich that, if it was like it was yesterday and near 90 degrees, you will be going to the hospital for a different reason.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't think ANYONE else had sandwiches of old fashioned loaf!! I wasn't always a vegetarian. I can remember having those sandwiches too. Sounds like our Moms packed the same lunches. How about ham and cheese loaf where you'd try to sick the little 'spots' of cheese out of the slice?! Thanks for that flashback.

Sheri said...

We have outlawed peanut butter where I work. We had a child have a very serious allergic reaction simply from touching a spot on the sink where another child had gone to wash peanut butter off his hands. This child had the reaction without ingesting it.

I LOVE peanut butter and celery and used to eat it quite often at lunch. No more, it's too dangerous to some kids. Being in childcare business for 17 years I have seen a huge increse in peanut allergies over the past few years. Strange.

Carbo said...

That is really amazing... I guess I had no idea ... when I was a kid this did not even seem common place. The times are a changing I guess